- Any of the various stories of the former lives of the Buddha found in Buddhist literature.More example sentences
- This collection of Indian folklore, retold for younger readers ‘of all ages’, includes many stories from the Jataka, a Buddhist compilation of fables.
- The entire surface of the gateways is covered with bas-reliefs representing scenes from the life of Gautama Buddha, stories from the Jatakas, along with decorative elements.
- In the Jatakas (Birth Stories, Khuddaka Nikaya) we find many examples of people who committed the same deeds again and again in successive lives.
from Sanskrit jātaka 'born under'.
More definitions of JatakaDefinition of Jataka in:
- The British & World English dictionary