(also Johannisberg Riesling)
Definition of Johannisberg in English:
1The chief variety of the Riesling wine grape, originating in Germany and widely grown in California and elsewhere.
- For example, I now know that Johannisberg Rieslings are a pretty safe bet for my limited palette.
- Late harvest Johannisberg Rieslings are very sweet, and make excellent dessert wines.
- Several different grape varieties include Riesling in their name, including the Johannisbergs or White Rieslings of California.
1.1A white wine made from the Johannisberg grape.
- True Riesling wine is sometimes hard to identify because it is sold as both Johannisberg Riesling and White Riesling in North America.
- He bought a bottle of 2003 Robert Mondavi Private Selection Johannisberg Riesling.
- It was suggested that the only American Riesling worth drinking is the Johannisberg variety, so I was pleased that was the one that Ian kindly left us in our fridge.
from the name of a castle and village on the Rhine, Germany, where it was originally produced.
Definition of Johannisberg in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan