- A region of northeastern Europe on the border between Russia and Finland. Following Finland’s declaration of independence in 1917, part of Karelia became a region of Finland and part an autonomous republic of the Soviet Union. After the Russo-Finnish war of 1939–40, the greater part of Finnish Karelia was ceded to the former Soviet Union. The remaining part of Karelia constitutes a province of eastern Finland.
- More example sentences
- In it, Helevou noted that the hand-woven, Finnish Karelian tapestry had a great deal of sentimental value attached to it and would have to be reported to police as stolen if it failed to be returned quickly.
- In the far distance, I can see the twinkling lights of our destination, the beautiful Karelian village of Vuokkiniemi, and above, a faint shimmering blue glow of Northern Lights.
- Jay Honeyman, who is employed by Sustainable Resource Development, and his Karelian bear dog Blaze helped to keep the bear away from developed areas and the golf course.
More definitions of KareliaDefinition of Karelia in:
- The British & World English dictionary