Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of Kathak in English:
1 [mass noun] A type of northern Indian classical dance, with alternating passages of mime and dancing.
- Lakshmi Kannan is an exponent of Bharatanatyam and Kathak and a dance critic.
- Thus the fusion experiment of classical Indian Kathak and passionate Spanish Flamenco turns out to be a very refreshing experiment.
- Chennai based Lakshmi Kannan is a Bharatanatyam and Kathak exponent and a dance critic.
2 (plural same or Kathaks) A member of a northern Indian caste of storytellers and musicians.
- In those days Kathaks were attached to temples, telling people stories from the epics and Puranas.
- The ancient Kathaks were mainly men who narrated the scriptures using music and mime.
- During ancient times, groups of Kathaks allegedly roved around the country recounting the epics and myths through poetry, music and dance.
From Sanskrit kathaka 'professional storyteller', from kathā 'story'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.