Definition of Kazakh in English:
noun (plural same or Kazakhs)
1A member of a people living chiefly in Kazakhstan. Traditionally nomadic, the Kazakh are predominantly Sunni Muslims.
- Approximately 5 percent of the total Mongolian population are Sunni Muslims, mainly ethnic Kazakhs in the western region.
- Other ethnic groups that were caught within the country as the borders in Central Asia were redrawn during the Soviet era include Uzbeks, Kyrgyz, Turkmen, Kazakhs, Uyghur, and Bukharan and European Jews.
- In the settler sources reviewed here, this dynamic shows most clearly in the case of peasant views of pastoral nomads, including Muslim Kazakhs and Kyrgyz and Buddhist Altayans.
2The Turkic language of the Kazakh.
- Central Asia largely speaks Turkic languages (Uzbek, Kazakh, Kyrgyz), which, however, are not that close to the Turkish spoken in Istanbul.
- During Soviet times, when Russian was the only real language of importance, Kazakh failed to keep up with the changing vocabulary of the twentieth century.
- She speaks Kazakh, Russian, English and Italian.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Kazakh or their language.
- The Kazakh national movement, which began in the late 1800s, sought to preserve the Kazakh language and identity.
- To our north, the vast featureless Kazakh steppes, an area the size of Western Europe, stretched away seemingly to infinity.
- At present, however, it is premature to assume that Kazakh oil will make up the gap.
Words that rhyme with Kazakhaback, alack, attack, back, black, brack, clack, claque, crack, Dirac, drack, flack, flak, hack, jack, knack, lack, lakh, mac, mach, Nagorno-Karabakh, pack, pitchblack, plaque, quack, rack, sac, sack, shack, shellac, slack, smack, snack, stack, tach, tack, thwack, track, vac, wack, whack, wrack, yak, Zack
Definition of Kazakh in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan