Definition of Keres in English:
noun (plural same)
2The language of the Keres, of unknown affinity.
- There are a multitude of reasons why the young men & women turning twenty-one this year are far less fluent in Keres than the twenty-one year olds of twenty-five years ago.
- Many of Lucero's students through the years have primarily spoken English, while most of the older people were fluent in their native language of Keres.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Keres or their language.
- Here, as she does on many other occasions, Silko employs italics to introduce some background information about the traditions of the Keres people (their food and dances), as well as about coyote language.
- As with Tiwa, Tewa and Towa, there is some disagreement among the Keres people as to whether Keres should be a written language or not.
- Balance and harmony are two primary assumptions of the Keres people who inhabit the Laguna and Acoma Pueblos of New Mexico.
From American Spanish Queres, from American Indian.
Definition of Keres in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan