Definition of Khmer in English:
2A native or inhabitant of the ancient Khmer kingdom.
- In the absence of piling, the ancient Khmers often used sand to provide a homogeneous foundation for their structures.
- Around 1260 the kingdom of Sukhothai became independent from the Khmers and King Rama Khamheng declared Theravda the state religion.
- Other civilizations - the Khmer, Maya, Anasazi have also disappeared and resource over-exploitation is being suggested as a possible contributor in many cases.
3A native or inhabitant of Cambodia.
- Many prostitutes are trafficked from Viet Nam, but most are ethnic Khmers, the majority race in Cambodia.
- Of course it was the Burmese, not the Khmer, who successfully laid siege to and then sacked Ayutthaya in 1767.
- I quickly came to remember why the Khmer have a reputation for huge smiles.
4The Mon-Khmer language that is the official language of Cambodia. Also called Cambodian.
- Proceedings will be conducted in Cambodia's official language Khmer with English, French and Russian translations.
- According to the bill, the tribunal will be located in Phnom Penh and the proceedings conducted in Cambodia's official language Khmer, with English, French and Russian translations.
- The official language is Khmer, and French is the second most common language.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Khmer peoples or their language.
- In the 1990s there was a cultural revival among the Khmer in the northeast that included the formation of dance and music groups to promote Khmer culture.
- It was worth it, as it is one of the most beautiful and important historic Khmer sites in Thailand.
- By the end of the decade, Khmer nationalism began to reassert itself against the traditional Vietnamese enemy.
The name in Khmer.
Words that rhyme with Khmeraffair, affaire, air, Altair, Althusser, Anvers, Apollinaire, Astaire, aware, Ayer, Ayr, bare, bear, bêche-de-mer, beware, billionaire, Blair, blare, Bonaire, cafetière, care, chair, chargé d'affaires, chemin de fer, Cher, Clair, Claire, Clare, commissionaire, compare, concessionaire, cordon sanitaire, couvert, Daguerre, dare, debonair, declare, derrière, despair, doctrinaire, éclair, e'er, elsewhere, ensnare, ere, extraordinaire, Eyre, fair, fare, fayre, Finisterre, flair, flare, Folies-Bergère, forbear, forswear, foursquare, glair, glare, hair, hare, heir, Herr, impair, jardinière, Kildare, La Bruyère, lair, laissez-faire, legionnaire, luminaire, mal de mer, mare, mayor, meunière, mid-air, millionaire, misère, Mon-Khmer, multimillionaire, ne'er, Niger, nom de guerre, outstare, outwear, pair, pare, parterre, pear, père, pied-à-terre, Pierre, plein-air, prayer, questionnaire, rare, ready-to-wear, rivière, Rosslare, Santander, savoir faire, scare, secretaire, share, snare, solitaire, Soufrière, spare, square, stair, stare, surface-to-air, swear, Tailleferre, tare, tear, their, there, they're, vin ordinaire, Voltaire, ware, wear, Weston-super-Mare, where, yeah
Definition of Khmer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.