Definition of Krio in English:
An English-based Creole language of Sierra Leone. It is the first language of about 350,000 people and is used as a lingua franca by over 3 million.
- The grammar and pronunciation of Krio are similar to many African languages.
- Krio, Mende and Temne are widely spoken, with Krio being the lingua franca.
- His English is virtually nonexistent, and his Krio, the local language, is inflected with his native Italian.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to Krio.
- On the phone to someone who has spent several extended periods working in Sierra Leone - I mentioned that website of Krio proverbs which I linked to a couple of weeks ago, and quoted her an example.
- Creole authors have pioneered a growing literature in the Krio language.
Probably an alteration of Creole.
Words that rhyme with Kriobrio, Clio, Leo, Milhaud, Rio, Theo, trio
Definition of Krio in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan