Definition of Krio in English:
An English-based Creole language of Sierra Leone. It is the first language of about 350,000 people and is used as a lingua franca by over 3 million.
- The grammar and pronunciation of Krio are similar to many African languages.
- Krio, Mende and Temne are widely spoken, with Krio being the lingua franca.
- His English is virtually nonexistent, and his Krio, the local language, is inflected with his native Italian.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to Krio.
- On the phone to someone who has spent several extended periods working in Sierra Leone - I mentioned that website of Krio proverbs which I linked to a couple of weeks ago, and quoted her an example.
- Creole authors have pioneered a growing literature in the Krio language.
Probably an alteration of Creole.
Words that rhyme with Kriobrio, Clio, Leo, Milhaud, Rio, Theo, trio
Definition of Krio in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.