Definition of Kutenai in English:
noun (plural same or Kutenais)
1A member of an American Indian people of the Rocky Mountains in British Columbia, Idaho, and Montana.
- The mythology and folklore of the Kutenai consist chiefly of cosmic and ethnic myths, animal tales, etc.
- The Kutenai were located on Kootenay River and Lake and extended into the United States, occupying the northern parts of Montana and Idaho.
- These favorable conditions lured, in Binnema's words, ‘migrants from every direction’ including the Black Feet, Gros Ventre, and Kutenai.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Kutenai or their language.
- The creative instinct of the Kutenai women found expression chiefly in cedar-root basketry.
- The Kutenai tribe can be found in Washington, Idaho, Montana, and as far north as British Columbia, and Alberta.
- Once the Kutenai men caught the fish, the children helped carry the fish from the canoes to the women who would clean and smoke or dry the fish.
from Blackfoot Kotonáai-.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia