- A cooling of the water in the equatorial Pacific that occurs at irregular intervals and is associated with widespread changes in weather patterns complementary to those of El Niño, but less extensive and damaging in their effects.More example sentences
- By early July, meteorologists were seeing signals that La Niña - the climate pattern that usually spells drought in the southern U.S. - was abating.
- Find out about the phenomenon behind La Niña, the extensive cooling of the central and eastern Pacific.
- The weather pattern called La Niña - which refers to cooling sea temperatures in the eastern equatorial region of the Pacific Ocean - is partly responsible for the hot, dry winter that created the current situation.
Spanish, literally 'the girl child', after El Niño.
More definitions of La NiñaDefinition of La Niña in:
- The British & World English dictionary