- A class of minute transparent planktonic animals related to the sea squirts. They have a body that is typically enclosed in a gelatinous “house” that is regularly shed and replaced.More example sentences
- Within the urochordates, both genes placed Oikopleura (class Larvacea) as the sister group to all other urochordates.
- More example sentences
- Ascidians and thaliaceans (which, along with the larvaceans, comprise the subphylum Urochordata) display a biphasic life-history with morphologically dissimilar larval and adult body plans.
- This supposition is largely based on data which suggests that, within the urochordates, the directly developing larvaceans are most primitive and the other two chordate subphyla are exclusively directly developing.
- Other more sophisticated jelly creatures include some mollusks and snails, and tunicates - sea squirts, salps and larvaceans.
modern Latin (plural), from larva.
More definitions of LarvaceaDefinition of Larvacea in:
- The British & World English dictionary