- A light white wine from the Rhine region.More example sentences
- Classic tinned wines included Liebfraumilch, Hock, Lambrusco, anything sweet and feminine and not likely to taste foul after being stored in an aluminium container for several months.
- Consumed within 18 months of the vintage, most Liebfraumilch is fresh, low in alcohol, flatteringly sweet, and deliberately designed to wean newcomers to wine off soft drinks.
- The wines always preserve something flowery or spicy from their predominately German vine varieties but anybody looking for light, bland Liebfraumilch or delicate, ethereal, sweet Rieslings will not find them here.
German, from lieb 'dear' + Frau 'lady' (referring to the Virgin Mary, patroness of the convent where it was first made) + Milch 'milk'.
More definitions of LiebfraumilchDefinition of Liebfraumilch in:
- The British & World English dictionary