Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of Lord Commissioner in English:
1The representative of the Crown at the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland.
- But a mere Lord Commissioner will have more power than the noble Baroness, who is a Minister of State.
- In 1714 he was elected Member of Parliament, and from 1714 to 1717 he served as Lord Commissioner of the Treasury.
- The practice of appointing Lords Commissioners to grant assent on behalf of the Sovereign became increasingly common.
2 (Lords Commissioners) (In the UK) the members of a board performing the duties of a high state office put in commission.
- His Majesty hath been pleased by his Order in Council dated 18th day of March 1756 to refer the consideration of this affair to the said Lord Commissioners of His Majestys Treasury.
- Another worry which concerns me is the question of which Ministers are deemed to be senior Ministers, who can take these decisions. One group of Ministers, the Lord Commissioners, are empowered to take these decisions.
- In 1855, the Lord Commissioners of the Admiralty requested the observations of the Commissioners on the establishment of a light - other than a Harbour Light - at Douglas Harbour, in the Isle of Man.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.