noun (plural same or Luos)
- 1A member of an East African people of Kenya and the upper Nile valley.More example sentences
- Even her first marriage to Otieno, a Luo, stretched boundaries as she is a Kikuyu, famous rivals of Luos for political and cultural reasons.
- The provincial capital of Kisumu is the third-largest city in Kenya and is a major cultural center for the Luo.
- Most of the wealthiest people are Kikuyu, followed by the Luo.
- 2The Nilotic language of the Luo.More example sentences
- Other ethnic languages include Luo, Kikuyu, Kamba, Luyia, Gusii, and Kalenjin, which are usually spoken at home.
- They speak Luo, which is their mother tongue, and learn Kiwahili as well.
- EAE is greatly influenced by such languages as Swahili at large, Kikuyu in Kenya, Chichewa in Malawi, Luo in Kenya and Tanzania, and Shona in Zimbabwe.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the Luo or their language.More example sentences
- Among the ceramic works featured in ‘Transforming through Fire’ were an Akan terracotta head, an Ijebu figure of an Ogboni or Oshugbo chief, a Ga'anda ancestral pot, and a Luo storage vessel.
- In the Luo culture, there is no bigger event than a funeral feast.
- Even young Luo teenagers, who nowadays live in Nairobi and rarely visit Luoland, nevertheless have learned to speak Dholuo fluently.
the name in Luo.
More definitions of LuoDefinition of Luo in:
- The British & World English dictionary