Definition of Lycopsida in English:
A class of pteridophyte plants that comprises the club mosses and their extinct relatives.
- Asteroxylon could be seen as an intermediate in the evolution of true leaves in the Lycopsida.
- For example each of the major taxa of vascular plants may be considered as either Classes (e.g. Lycopsida) or the next higher rank, a Division.
- The clade Lycopsida, of which the living lycopsids are members, also diverged in the Early Devonian.
- Example sentences
- Herbaceous ‘ferns’ and lycopsids became rare to absent, although lycopsid trees remained.
- However, unlike lycopsids, Pennsylvanian sphenopsids were not coal-swamp specialists.
- Experiments suggest that arborescent lycopsid propagules had a rather limited dispersal range.
Pronunciation: /-sid/noun& adjective
Definition of Lycopsida in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan