Definition of Lyme disease in English:
An inflammatory disease characterized at first by a rash, headache, fever, and chills, and later by possible arthritis and neurological and cardiac disorders, caused by bacteria that are transmitted by ticks.
- Lyme disease is caused by the spirochete Borrelia burgdorferi
- Meningitis can also be a feature of other diseases, including Lyme disease, Leptospirosis, Typhus, Tuberculosis and other infections.
- Some ticks transmit bacteria that cause illnesses such as Lyme disease or Rocky Mountain spotted fever.
- It is often idiopathic in origin, but may be associated with multiple sclerosis, sarcoidosis, syphilis, Lyme disease, and ocular lymphoma.
1970s: named after Lyme, Connecticut, where an outbreak occurred.
Definition of Lyme disease in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan