Definition of Macro-Siouan in English:
A proposed phylum of North American languages including the Siouan, Iroquoian, and Caddoan families and some others.
- Caddoan as part of Macro-Siouan is a possibility, but more research is required to determine the validity of this proposal.
- I am interested in Macro-Siouan, especially Chiwere and proto-Siouan.
- In North America, similarities between the Siouan family and the Iroquoian family suggest such a higher-order grouping, which can be called Macro-Siouan.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Macro-Siouan language phylum.
- Some linguists group the Siouan languages together with the Caddoan and Iroquoian languages in a Macro-Siouan language family.
- Many linguists remain unconvinced that these three language groups share a genetic relationship, and the existence of a Macro-Siouan language family remains a subject of some debate.
- Is it plausible to think that at some point the Mohawk elders grew weary of their macro-Siouan heritage and decided at a tribal council that from then on they would mark all the participants of an event on the verb that expressed that event?