Definition of Madreporaria in English:
Another term for Scleractinia.
- Madreporaria have greatly variable shapes widely depending on the physical and chemical conditions of the environment.
- Madreporaria are closely related to the Actiniaria (the common sea anemone), but unlike the latter, they produce a calcium carbonate skeleton and have less developed muscles and ciliated body walls.
- Example sentences
- Another factor contributing to the propagation of this disease is the decline of the madreporarians, which has cleared newly available surfaces for colonisation by the macro-algae which provide G. toxicus with an ecological niche.
- These conditions favour the construction of coral complexes by madreporarians.
Pronunciation: /-ˈre(ə)rēən/noun& adjective
Definition of Madreporaria in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan