- A state in the northeastern US, one of the six New England states, on the Atlantic coast, on the US-Canada border; population 1,316,456 (est. 2008); capital, Augusta; statehood, Mar. 15, 1820 (23). Visited by John Cabot in 1498 and colonized by England in the 1600s and 1700s, it was annexed to Massachusetts from 1652 until 1820.
- More example sentences
- There's a bit more than one and a quarter million Mainers.
- Among the Mainers, the lobstermen, farmers, carpenters, clam diggers, and loggers all said, ‘I work for myself.’
- What if Mainers could purchase Oregon health insurance?
More definitions of MaineDefinition of Maine in:
- The British & World English dictionary