Definition of Manx shearwater in English:
A dark-backed shearwater that nests on remote islands in the northeastern Atlantic, Mediterranean, and Hawaiian waters.
- Puffinus puffinus, family Procellariidae
- Faced with a mineral-deficient diet, red deer on the Scottish island of Rum resort to an unusual source of calcium: They munch chicks of a seabird known as the Manx shearwater.
- Situated 16 miles off the west coast of northern Scotland, Rum has one of the world's largest colonies of Manx shearwaters.
- The hatching success in the Manx shearwaters is strongly determined by the incidence of rainfall during the incubation period.
Definition of Manx shearwater in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India