- A member of the princely and military castes of the former Hindu kingdom of Maharashtra in central India.More example sentences
- The British finally defeated the Marathas and established themselves in the Red Fort by early nineteenth century when the British resident became the de facto ruler of Delhi.
- He maintained cordial relations with the Moguls, the British, the Marathas and every power.
- It was during his reign that the Hindu Marathas became active in the north-western Deccan (modern Maharashtra state) under their dynamic leader Shivaji.
via Hindi from Sanskrit Mahārāṣṭra 'great kingdom'.
More definitions of MarathaDefinition of Maratha in:
- The British & World English dictionary