- A carnival held in some countries on Shrove Tuesday, most famously in New Orleans.More example sentences
- Yes, Virginia, there will be a Mardi Gras in New Orleans in 2006.
- The loping interplay of euphonium, trumpet, sax and trombone on ‘Segala’, and the glorious swagger of Oblemou wouldn't sound out of place at a Mardi Gras in New Orleans.
- The museum stocks stuff like the necklace Britney wore in a Mardi Gras parade and two dresses from her Star Search days.
French, literally 'fat Tuesday', alluding to the last day of feasting before the fast and penitence of Lent.
More definitions of Mardi GrasDefinition of Mardi Gras in:
- The British & World English dictionary