- 1Mauretanianadjective& noun
- Example sentences
- The late King Hassan of Morocco saw the opportunity to regain part of the mediaeval Moroccan empire and marched 350,000 of his subjects into the territory as the Mauretanians advanced from the south.
- In a film about Mauretanian nomads a husband is heard complaining that his wife's bottom is too thin.
- There were Batavians, Thracians, Mauretanians, Sarmatians: all brought in through service in the army, and all eventually granted citizenship and a packet of land after their 25 years' service.
Based on Latin Mauri 'Moors', by whom the region was originally occupied.
Definition of Mauretania in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.