- 1A vociferous campaign against alleged communists in the US government and other institutions carried out under Senator Joseph McCarthy in the period 1950–54. Many of the accused were blacklisted or lost their jobs, although most did not in fact belong to the Communist Party.More example sentences
- Computergate was a chilling welcome to a new McCarthyism, a McCarthyism not run by a centralized political authority, but enabled by a specific way of understanding and treating computer technology.
- In the school's library I found a remnant of McCarthyism stamped inside the cover of a book.
- The effect of McCarthyism on people in government and in the entertainment industry has been widely publicized.
- 1.1A campaign or practice that endorses the use of unfair allegations and investigations: he practiced McCarthyism long before there was a McCarthyMore example sentences
- Presumably, Bush's argument for war brings about a McCarthyism which threatens everything we hold dear.
- More example sentences
- I would hope that all the institutions represented here would join in a protest against this McCarthyite attempt to suppress dissident views.
- In the absence of that, this is just a McCarthyist witch-hunt.
- They think it's a McCarthyite vendetta against Dr Wakefield.
Pronunciation: /-THēˌīt/adjective & noun
More definitions of McCarthyismDefinition of McCarthyism in:
- The British & World English dictionary