- A fruit fly whose larvae can be a serious pest of citrus and other fruits. Native to the Mediterranean region, it has spread to other regions including the US. Also called medfly.
More example sentences
- Ceratitis capitata, family Tephritidae
- One of the most notorious agricultural pests is the Mediterranean fruit fly, Ceratitis capitata.
- To fight outbreaks of the Mediterranean fruit fly, or medfly, states like California and Florida rely on shipments of millions of sexually sterile medflies reared in laboratories.
- The Mediterranean fruit fly Ceratitis capitata is a major pest of many important agricultural products.
More definitions of Mediterranean fruit flyDefinition of Mediterranean fruit fly in:
- The British & World English dictionary