- 1Of, relating to, or denoting the middle part of the Stone Age, between the Paleolithic and Neolithic.More example sentences
- The Mesolithic, or Middle Stone Age, can seem a very remote and ‘mysterious’ time.
- This was extensively occupied in late Upper Palaeolithic and early Mesolithic times.
- But historians oppose the plan because they have evidence that the site contains important Mesolithic - or Middle Stone Age - remains.
- 1.1 (as noun the Mesolithic) The Mesolithic period. Also called Middle Stone Age.
In Europe, the Mesolithic falls between the end of the last glacial period (circa 8500 bc) and the beginnings of agriculture. Mesolithic people lived by hunting, gathering, and fishing, and the period is characterized by the use of microliths and the first domestication of an animal (the dog)
More definitions of MesolithicDefinition of Mesolithic in:
- The British & World English dictionary