Definition of Mohawk in English:
noun (plural same or Mohawks)
1A member of an American Indian people, one of the Five Nations, originally inhabiting parts of eastern New York.
- This includes the Canadian native Indians such as the Mohawks and the Inuit, the original inhabitants of the land who were displaced, dispossessed and marginalised.
- The war with the Pequot no sooner ended than the Narragansett were fighting the Mohawk.
- The Mohawks in New York also contributed to the defeat of the insurgents by preventing outside assistance or escape.
2The Iroquoian language of the Mohawk.
- The Cherokee language belongs to the Iroquoian family of languages and is therefore related to Mohawk, Seneca, Onondaga, Oneida, Cayuga, and Tuscarora, among others.
- Italian and Greek are prominent immigrant languages, and Cree and Mohawk are prominent indigenous languages.
- An Iroquoian language, Oneida is most closely related to Mohawk.
3chiefly North American A hairstyle in which the head is shaved except for a strip of hair running centrally from the middle of the forehead to the back of the neck.
- We go out past the town along the riverside, through pine forest and scrub, and get as far as a beach, where a large man with a Mohawk is standing waist-deep in the water smoking a cigarette.
- He says he used to spend 25 minutes a day straightening his kinky hair into a Mohawk before deciding one day that maybe punk means not caring about what you look like.
- His bleached Mohawk stood out in stark contrast to his bronzed skin.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Mohawk or their language.
- It was also her evidence that these schools have a large percentage of Mohawk children (both from the reserve and off) and offer Mohawk language and a Mohawk curriculum.
- He writes poetry in both English and Mohawk and is working to devise an improved written form for the Mohawk language.
- This description was appropriate for a man who made his fortune trading with the native Indians in the Mohawk valley and the nations of the Iroquois confederacy.
from Narragansett mohowawog, literally 'man-eaters'.
Definition of Mohawk in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan