Definition of Monarchian in English:
A Christian heretic of the 2nd or 3rd century who denied the doctrine of the Trinity.
- Tertullian was battling Monarchians who opted for the unity of God and denied trinitarianism.
- For practical purposes the Monarchians have been divided into two classes, modal and dynamic.
- He was probably the first of the Monarchians to visit Rome, where he was well received by the Pope about 190-198, with whom he used his influence against the Montanists.
adjectiveBack to top
Of or relating to the Monarchians or their beliefs.
- There are many attacks upon Oneness Apostolics who hold to the ancient Jewish Monarchian doctrine of One God.
- The Monarchian theory is a false teaching that started some time in the second century.
- Monarchian doctrine usually did not deny the deity of Christ; instead they claimed that the Son is the Father, not the eternal Son as part of historic Christianity.
Definition of Monarchian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia