noun (plural Monte Cristos)North American
- A fried or grilled sandwich with cheese and ham or turkey, typically dipped in egg before being cooked: the delicious Monte Cristo with prosciutto and goudaMore example sentences
- They have the most heavenly Monte Cristo sandwich.
- Mangiamele plans to create a more chef-driven menu, but don't worry, favorites like the Monte Cristo will still be coming out of the kitchen.
- The sandwiches we sampled for lunch were decent enough - a slim reuben ($13) grilled on some good, dark rye, and a monte cristo sandwich ($13) with bacon, brie and pear dipped in egg and grilled in a slightly messy, but otherwise adequate variation on the classic.
1920s: from the name of Alexandre Dumas' novel The Count of Monte Cristo.
More definitions of Monte CristoDefinition of Monte Cristo in:
- The British & World English dictionary