Definition of Muharram in English:
1The first month of the year in the Islamic calendar.
- When an angel shakes the tree on the first day of the new year, in the Islamic month of Muharram, it is said that those whose leaves fall off will die within the coming year.
- Shi'ites packed into mosques yesterday to mark the eve of Ashoura, the 10th day of the Islamic holy month of Muharram and the holiest day of the year for them.
- The Islamic month of Muharram is a month of mourning for the grandsons of the Prophet Muhammad.
1.1An annual celebration during Muharram commemorating the death of Husayn, grandson of Muhammad, and his retinue.
- The Sikhs have gurpurbs, holidays associated with the lives of the gurus (holy men), while Muslims commemorate the festivals of Muharram, Eid al-Fitr, and Bakr-Id.
- This event has been commemorated all over the world during the time of Muharram.
- Bangladesh officially celebrates the Muslim festivals of Eid al-Fitr, Bakr-Id, Muharram, and other Muslim festivals as public holidays.
from Arabic muḥarram 'inviolable'.
Definition of Muharram in:
- British & World English dictionary