- A follower of the religion of Islam.More example sentences
- For example, Muslims are proud that Islam is the fastest growing religion in the West.
- Islam requires that all Moslems do what they can to defend Islamic lands when under attack from non-Moslems.
- An Islam without Muslims then becomes a museum piece rather than a living faith.
adjectiveBack to top
- Of or relating to the Muslims or their religion.More example sentences
- It is standard Muslim doctrine that one verse of the Koran can abrogate another.
- The Muslim family is the miniature of the whole of Muslim society and its firm basis.
- As the word sunna suggests, some Muslim people believe it is religiously ordained.
early 17th century: from Arabic, active participle of 'aslama (see Islam).
Muslim is the preferred term for ‘follower of Islam,’ although Moslem is also widely used. The archaic term Muhammadan (or Mohammedan) should be avoided.
More definitions of MuslimDefinition of Muslim in:
- The British & World English dictionary