Definition of Myomorpha in English:
A major division of the rodents that includes the rats, mice, voles, hamsters, and their relatives.
- Suborder Myomorpha, order Rodentia
- Still other families of the Myomorpha include the dormouse, jumping mouse, and jerboa.
- The rate of nucleotide substitutions in mice and rats is known to be higher than in other mammal groups; these results suggest rate changes within the lineage of Suborder Myomorpha.
- They placed them within Myomorpha based on derived cranial characters.
- Example sentences
- If this is true, then it indicates that caviomorphs are not closely related genetically to the myomorphs and should be recognized as a different order.
- Testes in male myomorphs are relatively large and present in a scrotum, whereas male guinea pigs and chinchillas do not have a true scrotum and the testes lie in the inguinal canal.
- Three jaw muscle patterns, sciuromorph, myomorph, and hystricomorph are often used to designate major taxonomic divisions of the rodents.
Pronunciation: /ˈmīəˌmôrf/noun& adjective
Definition of Myomorpha in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan