A division of the whales that comprises the baleen whales.
- Suborder Mysticeti, order Cetacea
More example sentences
- Modern whales may be divided into two subgroups: the Odontoceti (toothed whales) and the Mysticeti (baleen whales).
- The extant sub-orders are the Mysticeti (baleen whales) and the Odontoceti (toothed whales).
- Estimates for Tragulidae, Odontoceti, and Mysticeti are generally younger and close together in time, followed by a still more recent divergence of cervids, bovids, antilocaprids and giraffids.
- More example sentences
- Both the mysticetes and odontocetes are thought to be descendants of the archaeocetes.
- This anatomic geometry supports the idea of acoustic frequency filtering and channeling functions in odontocetes and low frequency hearing in mysticetes.
- Interestingly, the late Oligocene whale Aetiocetus, from Oregon, has skull and jaw features typical of baleen whales, and is considered to be the earliest mysticete - yet it also bore a full set of teeth.
Pronunciation: /ˈmistəˌsēt/noun& adjective
Definition of Mysticeti in:
- The British & World English dictionary