Definition of Nepali in English:
noun (plural same or Nepalis)
1A native or inhabitant of Nepal.
- Although Indonesians, Nepalis, Pakistanis, and Thais are prominent in the SAR, the most significant minority group consists of Filipino domestic helpers.
- Much of the trading between the lowland Nepalis and Tibetan peoples of the mountains takes place at markets such as the Saturday market in Namche Bazaar.
- Despite ethnic unrest, Nepalis have a strong sense of national identity and pride.
1.1The Indic language that is the official language of Nepal; also used in the Indian state of Sikkim.
- Besides, the Gurkhas of the Darjeeling district of West Bengal and Sikkim wanted Nepali to be constitutionally recognised as a ‘principal language’.
- Language: Nepali is spoken in the city, apart from local dialects.
- Their rich cultural tradition includes a language quite distinct from Nepali, the language of the majority.
adjectiveBack to top
Of or relating to Nepal or its language or people.
- With the emergence of Nepali-language rap and mix music in the mid-1990s, the use of the English language within a predominantly Nepali context became much more frequent.
- In the Nepali language, emotions as well as bodily states usually take on the role of agents grammatically, while the one doing the experiencing becomes the indirect object in a sentence.
- I have written several books and pamphlets on Buddhism, Ayurvedic medicine and Nepali culture, which are published in the Nepali language.
Definition of Nepali in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India