Definition of New Romantic in English:
Denoting a style of popular music and fashion popular in Britain in the early 1980s in which both men and women wore makeup and dressed in flamboyant clothes.
- Punctuated by stabs of early Bunnymen guitar and bouncing almost New Romantic bass, it's stamped through with energy and authority, those early nerves replaced by a confident stage presence.
- Making clubbing and dancing, rather than the gig, central was a crucial step (for Visage specifically, but for the New Romantic scene in general).
- For those familiar with his work, and the scene that grew up around it, you can see a lot of Nomi in legendary party boy Leigh Bowery, as well as Steve Strange and the entire Blitz / New Romantic movement.
nounBack to top
A performer or enthusiast of New Romantic music.
- The quintessential New Romantics had become nondescript pop sell-outs with the snap of a finger.
- For 30 years, punks, New Romantics and rockabillies have paraded before Iain McKell's lens.
- Despite the music press making a few doomed attempts to revive the New Romantics under various Neo-Romo banners, it was a youth culture that has not had the shelf life of goth, punk or even, thank you The Darkness, heavy metal.
Definition of New Romantic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.