Definition of New Year's Eve in English:
1The last day of the year; in the modern Western calendar, December 31.
- It'd only be over Christmas when I was fostered, from 24th December to New Year's Eve.
- Pope John Paul II ended the year with a traditional New Year's Eve homily.
- There are an awful lot of things that must be done before the New Year's Eve.
1.1The evening of the last day of the year, typically marked with a celebration.
- This New Year's Eve, Natasha Kaplinsky will host the run-up to midnight, and into 2005.
- In the rest of the region police said it was relatively quiet for a New Year's Eve with no major incidents.
- On New Year's Eve, dozens of disappointed revellers were also plunged into darkness because of the fault.
Definition of New Year's Eve in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan