Definition of Nibelung in English:
noun (plural Nibelungs or Nibelungen /-ˌlo͝oNGɡen/)Germanic Mythology
1A member of a Scandinavian race of dwarfs, owners of a hoard of gold and magic treasures, who were ruled by Nibelung, king of Nibelheim (land of mist).
- Here we see Alberich in his new incarnation as the heartless master of Nibelheim, mercilessly sweating his fellow dwarfs, the Nibelungs, in an immense gold factory.
- This lode gold is the stuff worked by legendary dwellers below the earth, like the dwarf who forged the treasure of the Nibelungs.
- Das Rheingold tells the story of the stealing of the gold of the Rhine maidens by Alberich, king of the Nibelungs, and the forging and theft (by Wotan) of the magic ring.
2(In the Nibelungenlied) a supporter of Siegfried or one of the Burgundians who stole the hoard from him.
- The original oral story of Munding Laya is similar - or at least has a similar spirit - to Beowulf in old English literature or Siegfried and The Knights of Nibelungen of Germany.
- Hagen told Gunther how Siegfried won treasure from the Nibelungs, two brothers and mighty princes named Schilbung and Nibelung.
from Old High German, from nibel 'mist' + the patronymic ending -ung.
Definition of Nibelung in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan