Definition of Nicobarese in English:
noun (plural same)
1A native or inhabitant of the Nicobar Islands.
- When we turned around, all the houses were gone,’ said Matenga, an indigenous Nicobarese.
- The Shompens of Great Nicobar, who have a history of raiding the Nicobarese in earlier times, remain a peaceable though elusive people of the isles today, their numbers stated to have dwindled due to disease.
- I recognised one, a Nicobarese from a nearby village.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Nicobar Islands, their inhabitants, or their language.
- Officials on Campbell Bay island reported that a Nicobarese local had been spotted on deserted Pillow Panja island on January 19, wearing underwear and waving a ‘flag’ made from the rest of his clothes.
- In his first interview since being rescued on Jan.19, a 40-year-old Nicobarese tribesman described his 25-day ordeal as he prayed and waited for death after the tsunami killed everyone else on his tiny island.
- Once when strolling the streets of Car Nicobar, where billboards, time, and fast food do not exist and the Internet is as foreign as snow, an old Nicobarese man came up to me and said: ‘It is great to have you here, but let's not make it a habit.’
Definition of Nicobarese in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan