noun (plural Nimbys or Nimbies)
- A person who objects to the siting of something perceived as unpleasant or potentially dangerous in their own neighborhood, such as a landfill or hazardous waste facility, especially while raising no such objections to similar developments elsewhere.More example sentences
- In response to these comments: it has become popular to label anyone who objects to a development as a Nimby.
- Is he bitter because they didn't get any money from the Nimbys' homes being built or are all the villagers Nimbys who live in the new developments?
- It is no answer to the problem for the Nimbys, already established in their ever-expanding residences, to propose that there should be no further development or increase in population density in Balmain.
1980s: acronym from not in my back yard.
More definitions of NimbyDefinition of Nimby in:
- The British & World English dictionary