Definition of Nootka in English:
noun (plural same or Nootkas)
1A member of an American Indian people of Vancouver Island, Canada.
- Twelve different tribes of Native Americans are in the game as well: the Aztec, the Carib, the Cherokee, the Comanche, the Cree, the Incas, the Iroquois, the Mayans, the Nootka, the Seminole, the Sioux, and the Tupi.
2The Wakashan language of the Nootka.
- Also known as Nuuchahnulth, which means ‘along the mountains’ - a reference to the speakers' homeland - Nootka's telescoping of words is unparalleled in other languages.
- Finally, a piece about Nootka - a language in which ‘entire sentences of meaning can be crammed into very short words’.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Nootka or their language.
- In the potlatches of the Chinook, Nootka, and other Pacific Northwest peoples, for example, chiefs vied to give the most blankets and other valuables.
named after Nootka Sound, an inlet on the coast of Vancouver Island.
Definition of Nootka in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan