Definition of Olympian in English:
1Associated with Mount Olympus in northeastern Greece, or with the Greek gods whose home was traditionally held to be there.
- These personal advisers were the alleged well-spring of Olympian justice, as Zeus meted out punishment with the same reckless abandon that he exercised in chasing his paramours.
- Athena, Apollo or Dionysus and the other Olympian deities were honoured all over Greece and with rituals specific to each city according to the particular emphasis of their cults.
- The three brothers became the blacksmiths of the Olympian gods, creating Zeus' thunderbolts, Poseidon's trident.
1.1Resembling or appropriate to a god, especially in superiority and aloofness: the court is capable of an Olympian detachment
More example sentences
- When you're a kid, you imagine people on TV as Olympian figures.
- Do the network news anchors of the big broadcast networks have to be Olympian figures?
- What's interesting is that this big solid newspaper office has this lone outpost of the Service Economy Stratum, an embassy of the economic world we write about with Olympian detachment.
2 [attributive] Relating to the ancient or modern Olympic Games.
- Thus the locals put behind the disappointment of not able to witness the Olympian medallist in action.
- We've got the scoop on an Olympian edition of The Sports Factor.
- Making an entrance befitting any Olympian athlete, Frances arrived in Emily Square in an open top vintage car, accompanied by her chauffeur for the night.
nounBack to top
1Any of the twelve Greek gods regarded as living on Olympus.
- Besides the twelve Olympians, Demeter and Dionysios, the gods of wheat and wine, have a significant impact on the daily lives of mortals.
- Who has thought to listen to the heart and mind of the Kore's Father, Zeus King of the Olympians?
- The Olympians - the mythical Greek Gods - were almost like a fantasy family firm of mobsters.
1.1A person of great attainments or exalted position.
- As usual, Oliver is Olympian, measured, full of historical references, lovely style.
- These men represent the Olympians of black business, having employed tens of thousands, achieved major milestones in commerce, and broken barriers for legions of African Americans.
2A competitor in the Olympic Games.
- As an Olympian I know how special it is to earn the honor of representing the USA.
- He reasoned, correctly, that to achieve his ambition of becoming an Olympian he would have to find an obscure sport in which there was a dearth of competitors.
- Certainly, the few hundred club runners participating in the event didn't know they had a future Olympian lining up alongside them.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India