Definition of Oriya in English:
noun (plural same or Oriyas)
1A native or inhabitant of Orissa.
- No Oriya rules the airwaves or beams at him from the posters and billboards in the streets of London.
- By these means the Oriya and the Tamil were made to feel part of a wider, countrywide, struggle.
- But about a hundred Oriya kids live today because of his generosity.
2The Indic language of the Oriya, closely related to Bengali.
- Both the languages are so close that an outsider may mistake Oriya for Assamese.
- The tribals speak Oriya with many words from their tongue, which made translation difficult.
- Similar were the aspirations of Congressmen who spoke Kannada, Malayalam, or Oriya.
from Hindi Ụriyā.
Words that rhyme with OriyaAchaea, aliyah, Almería, Apia, Bahía, Caesarea, Cassiopeia, Chaldea, Cytherea, Euboea, foreseer, freer, galleria, gynaecea, Iphigenia, Kampuchea, kea, keyer, Latakia, Leah, Lucia, Nicaea, Nicosia, onomatopoeia, osteria, Pangaea, Pantelleria, pharmacopoeia, pizzeria, ria, rupiah, sangría, seer, sharia, Shia, skier, spiraea (US spirea), Tanzania, taqueria, Tarpeia, Thea, trachea, trattoria, urea
Definition of Oriya in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan