Definition of Osage orange in English:
A small spiny North American deciduous tree that bears inedible green orangelike fruit. Its durable yellowish-orange wood was formerly used by American Indians for bows and other weapons. Also called bowwood.
- Maclura pomifera, family Moraceae
- Connie Barlow writes that the Osage orange tree is rare.
- Probably one of the most common questions I hear is ‘Is it okay to make a bow from a wood other than yew or Osage orange?’
- These extinct American herbivores once dispersed the seeds of such big-fruited plants as honey locust, Kentucky coffee tree, and Osage orange, all of which produce fruits that no native animal today regards as food.
Definition of Osage orange in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan