Definition of Osage orange in English:
A small spiny North American deciduous tree that bears inedible green orangelike fruit. Its durable yellowish-orange wood was formerly used by American Indians for bows and other weapons. Also called bowwood.
- Maclura pomifera, family Moraceae
- Connie Barlow writes that the Osage orange tree is rare.
- Probably one of the most common questions I hear is ‘Is it okay to make a bow from a wood other than yew or Osage orange?’
- These extinct American herbivores once dispersed the seeds of such big-fruited plants as honey locust, Kentucky coffee tree, and Osage orange, all of which produce fruits that no native animal today regards as food.
Definition of Osage orange in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.