Definition of Ossete in English:
1A native or inhabitant of Ossetia.
- Those who speak non-Turkic languages include Kurds, Armenians, Greeks, Circassians, Georgians, Laz, Arabs, Rom, Ossetes, Albanians, and Chechens.
- The author does not include Nart sagas from other ethnic groups among whom the sagas are strongly represented, namely the Ossetes, Balkars and Karachays, nor those weakly represented, such as the Ingush, Chechens or Svans.
- Ethnic Ossetes also declared their own separate republic in the north, while, in the south, Azeri and Armenian minorities complained of discrimination and occasionally rumbled about breaking away.
adjectiveBack to top
- Example sentences
- To anyone who is of Ossetic descent or would like to learn more about Ossetians or Ossetic culture, please join my newly created group.
- Here is an interesting segment on Ossetic culture featuring a professor from South Ossetia.
- He shows how Sanskrit influenced the writing system of Japanese, and that the Scythian language of ancient times survives today as Ossetic.
Pronunciation: /äˈsetik/adjective& noun
From Russian osetin, from Georgian.
Definition of Ossete in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.