- 1The Iranian language of the Ossetes.More example sentences
- The principal minority languages are Abkhazian, Armenian, Azeri, Ossetian, and Russian.
- Ossetian is spoken on the slopes of the Caucasus Mountains.
- 2A native or inhabitant of Ossetia.More example sentences
- During several centuries of common statehood, the Abkhaz, Armenians, Turks, and Ossetians partly preserved their cultural identities, while Albanians were fully assimilated.
- Most Abkhazians and South Ossetians have taken out Russian citizenship and earn their living by trading with Russia.
- Many South Ossetians have a greater affinity with the Russian region of North Ossetia than with Tbilisi.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the Ossetes or their language.More example sentences
- But, in spite of the intense piano playing, he had known since he was eight that he would be a conductor, simply because he had been told - and a good Ossetian boy does what he is told.
- At the time of writing, neither the Abkhaz nor the Ossetian conflicts have been resolved.
- Much information from this book has been summarised by Anna Chaudhri, who also introduced similar elements from Ossetian hunting lore.
More definitions of OssetianDefinition of Ossetian in:
- The British & World English dictionary