Definition of Paiute in English:
noun (plural same or Paiutes)
1A member of either of two culturally similar but geographically separate and linguistically distinct American Indian peoples, the Southern Paiute of the southwestern US and the Northern Paiute of Oregon and Nevada.
- The Winnemucca family consistently urged Paiutes toward accommodation of non-Indians and selective acculturation.
- In 1878, the Bannocks and Paiutes of Idaho and eastern Oregon were defeated.
- He wanted to make sure that the officer knew that, to the Paiutes, the skulls were more than merely missing evidence.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Paiute or their languages.
- And who knows how many words of Pueblo, Ute, Hopi, or Paiute origin have become part of the Navajo language?
- Many other Paiute groups have actively taken steps to preserve their language.
- Adam recognized the word as the Paiute term for medicine man, or healer.
Words that rhyme with Paiutejackboot • freeboot • top boot
Definition of Paiute in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan