- A test to detect cancer of the cervix or uterus, using a specimen of cellular material from the neck of the uterus spread on a microscope slide ( Pap smear).More example sentences
- Although pelvic examinations can screen for reproductive problems or abnormalities, only a Pap test will detect early cervical cancer or precancers.
- Post-hysterectomy Pap tests may detect vaginal cancer, but the yield and predictive value are low, and the test was never designed for this purpose.
- Combined Pap test and HPV testing detected all cases of high-grade CIN, but our results did not reach statistical significance.
1960s: named after George N. Papanicolaou (1883–1962), Greek-born American scientist.
More definitions of Pap testDefinition of Pap test in:
- The British & World English dictionary