(also Pennsylvania German)
Definition of Pennsylvania Dutch in English:
1A dialect of High German spoken in parts of Pennsylvania.
- The Amish speak English, German, and a dialect known as Pennsylvania German or Pennsylvania Dutch.
- I quickly made a virus called Heevahava, the name being a Pennsylvania Dutch pejorative for a simpleton, colloquially - a farmhand given the job of harvesting sperm from a bull.
- By ‘smear-case’ he meant Smierkase, a Pennsylvania Dutch term.
2 (as plural noun the Pennsylvania Dutch or Germans) The German-speaking inhabitants of Pennsylvania, descendants of 17th- and 18th-century Protestant immigrants from the Rhineland.
- It continues at Atco Raceway, Mason-Dixon Dragway, and Lebanon Valley Dragway and ends at Maple Grove Raceway with the Pennsylvania Dutch Classic.
- And make sure you stop for some Pennsylvania Dutch cooking.
- The other semi-disturbing thing I saw in the museum was a portrait of a Pennsylvania Dutch farmer and his dog from the 1700's.
Dutch from German Deutsch 'German'.
Definition of Pennsylvania Dutch in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan