- 1Of, relating to, or denoting the eon covering the whole of time since the beginning of the Cambrian period, and comprising the Paleozoic, Mesozoic, and Cenozoic eras. Compare with Cryptozoic.More example sentences
- The Indian plate rocks include late Archaean, Proterozoic and Phanerozoic continental margin sequences.
- So far, about 17 macrofossil - rich hydrocarbon seep systems have been recognised in the Phanerozoic strata of Jurassic to Pliocene age.
- Beneath the Møre Basin, developed on a Phanerozoic domain, the lithospheric thickness is 125 km, decreasing to values of 80-60 km beneath the Cenozoic rifted domain.
The Phanerozoic began about 570 million years ago and covers the period in which rocks contain evidence of abundant life in the form of macroscopic mineralized fossils
late 19th century: from Greek phaneros 'visible, evident' + zōion 'animal' + -ic.
More definitions of PhanerozoicDefinition of Phanerozoic in:
- The British & World English dictionary