- Denoting a screw with a cross-shaped slot for turning, the head of such a screw, or a corresponding screwdriver: the screws have deeply cut Phillips heads a Phillips screwdriver a Phillips-head screwdriverMore example sentences
- Trying to use a tool poorly suited for the job (like a slotted screw driver on a Phillips screw) often leads to poor results and frustration.
- Using a Phillips screwdriver, attach the lock to the screen with screws and cap nuts.
- Once you install the screws by hand, you'll need to use a Phillips head screwdriver to tighten them.
1930s: from the name of Henry F. Phillips (died 1958), the original American manufacturer.
More definitions of PhillipsDefinition of Phillips in:
- The British & World English dictionary